Monday, April 2, 2012

Roddie Report: Potty Time

Big news in our house last night – Roddie peed in the potty for the first time!
He has been showing some interest over the past month or so, but it’s hard to tell if he really understands what the potty is for – it is a place to read?  Somewhere to hang out with whoever is using the big potty?  He often goes in and sits down for a few minutes (pants on), gets up, wipes the “bowl, and moves on.  It took a little doing to get him to sit on it bare bottomed, but we’ve made it a part of the evening routine and it seemed to be going as expected for his age.
Lately, he’s really started to identify more with Matt and less with me.  While I do lament the demise of my Mama’s boy, I think this is a natural progression.  Mind you, I really don’t care for the fact that when he sees me in the morning and not his Dad, he dives back into the crib, crying.   He has really started to emulate things that Dad does, what he wears, how he moves etc.  On a positive note (at least for me!), he has really lost interest in joining me in applying my make-up in the morning. 
Last night, when Matt went to sit his bare bottom on the potty, he was resistant.  At first we couldn’t figure out what was going on and eventually realized that he wanted to leave his pants on, around his ankles, like you-know-who!  With that looked after, he started to read his book and the next thing you know, he got up to put the book away, after leaving a deposit in the potty! 
It’s hard to know who was more excited, us or Norah… Roddie was cool as a cucumber.


No comments:

Post a Comment