Friday, January 4, 2013

2013: Off to an Inauspicious start!

Dear 2013, can we just start over please?
I know some superstitious folks may find your 2 trailing digits to be unlucky, but I’m not one of them.  Even after how things went these past few days, I still think we can do great things together!
We started off well enough, with a fun party with the neighbors while we waited for your arrival.  Sure, we may have had a few drinks, but nothing crazy (the kids, you know) and I came home 20 bucks richer after this year’s round of left, right, center.  The kids, Norah especially, were excited about staying up to see the ball drop on TV, and those fireworks outside as we carried them home in the cool night air?  Very nice touch!
But that’s when things started to go a bit downhill between you and I… early in the morning, as I was trying to rehydrate with a cup of coffee, there was that call for a playdate…who calls for a playdate at 8:30 am on New Years Day???  I thought, what the heck, we could use something to do today, and why not start off the new year with some new friends!  But 2013, the playdate, oh the playdate!  I didn’t know the little one was coming too, and why didn’t they bring snow gear for the outdoor play we talked about?  No matter, let’s make the best of it.. oh, but they’re staying for lunch… which would usually be fine, but since I had put off cooking (and, it turns out, shopping) until your arrival after the cooking fest that accompanies Christmas, all there was to eat was PB&J…. oops, or not.  Mostly Jelly as we scraped out the bottom of the PB jar… good thing I happened to take a loaf of bread out of the freezer!  Did I mention the kids were up past midnight last night?  Cause now it’s 2:00 and if I don’t get them some down time soon, it won’t be pretty… oh well, it was only our first day together, 2013, and the people were nice and the kids had fun, maybe I’m just not a playdate person.  Plus the kids slept the rest of the day away….
So what was up with the 1-2 punch?  Like it wasn’t hard enough, going back to work after a glorious 12 days off, but did you have to cut the heat on the coldest day of the year?  My bad – it was only day 2 of the year, but it was the coldest day of the season!  With all the news coverage about the upcoming cold snap, it didn’t occur to me immediately when it was a little cool in the morning that there was something wrong with the furnace.  With temps approaching zero (that’s Fahrenheit, seriously, 2013??) it really could not have been a worse day.  No matter, we swallowed our anxiousness about the return to work and called the furnace guy.  They sent a fresh face kid named Cam, who quickly diagnosed a bad controller.. crap, what’s that gonna cost?   Six hundred bucks and you can have it tomorrow?  Great!  That’s manageable, and 2013, we had only just gotten together, so I took this as a positive show of faith.  Yeah, it was cold, but the up-side of living in a small space is that a couple of space heaters can do a decent job of making it comfortable.  It was great that Matt was able to stay home that afternoon and get the house up to temp before we got there, but then we got the call about Roddie…
I mean, I guess I should thank for you having it happen when Matt was only 5 minutes away.  I guess I should also be happy that he likes his teachers so much that, in his excitement to show her his tower of blocks he tripped and fell flat on his face on the slide.  And I am definitely thankful that after that trip to the ER he seems to be fine…so, I guess alls well that ends well on that one eh?  My poor boss, he wasn’t sure what to say when my response to a late afternoon “How’re things going” was met with “well, my furnace is broken and my kid smashed his face and is on the way to the ER, so I gotta go home and tend the space heaters since it’s 10 degrees outside”  tee hee, it’s funny in hindsight, I guess.
Speaking of ending well, I guess when it comes right down to it, we did ok on the furnace thing too, didn’t we?  Young Cam blew it, on the controller.  After we waited for the part, it wasn’t that at all, was it?  Luckily the gas company works until midnight these days (who knew?  Is that you’re doing?)  15 minutes with a guy who knows what he’s doing (but wasn’t as cute as Cam) and the heat is on!  Not only that but the controller was fine and we get reimbursed for the service call.  Nice.  Alls well that ends well!
So, dear 2013, maybe we don’t really have to start over, but if you wouldn’t mind taking it easy on us, I’d appreciate it! 
Looking forward to a great year together, Alls well that ends well, remember.
Yours always
S

No comments:

Post a Comment