Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Norah News: Such a Big Girl

Norah seems to have hit a new phase lately, and I must say, I like it!  She's really coming into her own as a kindergartener, and growing into new responsibilities.  In reflecting, I think we have tended to treat her and Roddie the same, when we really need to be nurturing different things due to the difference in their ages.  Roddie will do some things earlier, just by nature of being the second child, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't also be challenging Norah.
  • She has been exceptionally kind and patient with Roddie over the Christmas break - rarely getting into a battle of wills with him over silly things, looking out for him and really just generally being nice.  We were all off for a week and a half and they pretty much played well together the entire time.  We started talking to her about being "beautiful on the inside" a couple of months ago and it seems like she's really taking it to heart.  Earlier today I pointed out to Roddie what a great big sister he had (within earshot of her) and she informed me that I've been saying that a lot lately :)
  • She's also starting to take on making her own breakfast, going so far as to ask for help making an egg sandwich over the holidays.   She did everything herself, from getting things out of the fridge to frying the egg (supervised, of course). 
  • I think she'll always have some clothing drama, but she's got a lot better about asking for specific help, rather than just melting down.
  • I left her on her own at the house for the first time - it was a couple of weeks ago and she was home sick.  She had just woken up and I had to go pick up Roddie.  I was gone no more than 15 minutes, and she didn't miss a beat.
  • She got her first alarm clock from Santa and seems very excited to get herself up tomorrow (too bad I need to go turn if off, since school is cancelled!) 
  • She's reading everything in sight, which has lead to a whole new line of questions on most everything!
    She's actually pretty fun to play board games with these days.  I think I now understand why my mom always liked playing board games with us so much, especially over the holidays.  She's starting to figure out simple strategy and her face really lights up when we sit down to play together.
  • Friends are starting to play a bigger role in her life.  We went skating with a couple of other families and she was FAR more interested in skating with her friends than with her mom.
  • Last, for now at least, is that she was amazing at Christmas. She both fully understood and fully believed and the look on her face, the conversations we had about Santa, were really and truly priceless.  I pray that no one busts that bubble for many years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment