Sunday, October 17, 2010

Date Night!

Last night, Matt and I went out on a date. As I told Megan, who babysat for us... it's been two and a half years, it's about time. While we've gone out without the kids on occasion, in reality, it was for an occasion - either we had a wedding or other event to attend, or my parents or sister were staying with us. This time, it was for no other reason that we needed a little adult time! We weren't in desperate need or anything (ok, maybe I was) but I felt like it was just time for us to go out alone. It seems like most everyone else I know goes out, occasionally at least, without the kids. It's different when grandma and grandpa live near by, and dying to get her hands on your babies, but for us, with no family to push us out the door just for the heck of it, it took being deliberate about making it happen.

We didn't do anything special, just went out for dinner and then coffee, but it felt really big. I am pretty sure by the time Norah was 2 months old I hadn't left her alone with Matt, never mind a babysitter! I'm no suggesting that was good, or healthy, but it is reality! In any case, I completely trust Megan with the kids and she's like a surrogate Aunt to them, so I wasn't a bit concerned about them - but it still felt a bit like I was out without one of my appendages!

That feeling abated as dinner went on, and we actually enjoyed ourselves! Unlike my last maternity leave, I recognize a little better this time around that I need a little 'me' time (or, in this case, 'us' time). I've joined a gym with a nice nursery, and Roddie and I will head there tomorrow. I figured I may as well be productive in my 'me' time!

The best part about last night was that Roddie was asleep by 10:20 or so and only woke up once between then and 8:30, and Norah first called out to us around 8:00... as I said in my Facebook status, Life is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment