Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Norah News: Bring it on!

As many the mom has posted, it's harder than you think to blog while on maternity leave. Having done this before, I know I need to keep myself busy, but the reality of a 5 week old baby is that you never really know what your schedule will look like. I nixed some plans for the past couple of days to simply take it easy after our White Mountain adventure, and it's just as well as young Rod was all over the map schedule wise! Regardless, today I'm looking forward to a lunch date with an old friend - who is actually bringing me lunch - kudos Keith!

There have been a lot of changes over the past few months, some obvious, and some not so obvious. A not so obvious one that I've been struggling with is my evolving relationship with Norah. She continues to be very kind and caring with her little brother, and can absolutely be a joy to be around. She is also a two and a half year old who has experienced a lot of change in the past few months and she's testing the limits, and her parents! I'm told this is good and normal and it's up to us to set and enforce the limits, but that doesn't make it any more pleasant - suffice to say I've come to understand how a single teenager can affect the dynamics of an entire household. Couple this with my own physical and hormonal changes not to mention the logistics of nursing and caring for a newborn, and you have yourself a challenge!

I feel as though, until recently, I'd been not quite myself since the beginning of summer, between the polyhydroamnios, just being 7, 8, and 9 months pregnant in one of the the hottest summers on record, and now of course also being Roddie's mother as well. In the meantime, Norah decided she wanted to wear underwear, seems to have grown at least a foot, the relationship between Matt and Norah has evolved, and even though I didn't recognize it - so has the relationship between her and I. Mornings used to be a leisurely and very special (to me at least) time that we had together, where she'd mostly do what I said, and if not I could easily pick her up and make her. Now, it's a lot more chaotic, and tinged with a little guilt as I return home after dropping her off at daycare as she moves up to preschool (a decision made in less emotional and more rested times!)

The fact of the matter is, until recently, I wasn't sure I could handle her and Roddie on my own. There, I said it. As I grow stronger and we all get into our new groove, I'm learning how to relate to this new Norah, the one who seems to have grown up so much over the summer. It caught me by surprise, the idea that I had to figure out how to relate to my own kid again, but cutting myself (and her) a break once in a while and a little patience has gone a long way. I still see glimpses of my baby girl, who needs a hug now and again (on her terms, of course) and she's come around to bonding with me again - a little learning on her part as well I guess. I also see a very smart, caring, determined, and independent little girl, who will no doubt continue to challenge us as the years go by.

Bring it on Norah, I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment