Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Adventure Chronicles: Family Fun Day - Boston!

I've been itching for a beach day, or more specifically a family fun day,  But between the house and the many many birthday parities we've been invited to lately, it's been tough to find a weekend to go.  In any case, we cleared our calendars for Saturday and plans were set.  Unfortunately, the weather didn't agree - it was exactly as the weatherman predicted - 80 and intermittent clouds.  So, we quickly regrouped, and decided to head into the "Big City" (Curious George reference), with no particular plan in mind.
Our adventure started off with a subway ride - turned out to be just about the highlight of the trip.  Then we wandered around the Common, saw a bubble man and took a ride on the Carousel.  Then we wandered over to the public gardens to check out all the places featured in Make Way for Ducklings.  By then, we were getting a little fried (especially since the kids were up late the night before at their first ever trip to the drive in!!) so we set out to find something to eat.  Our timing was bad, or at least the same as everyone else's as there was a line pretty much every place we tried, so we ended up eating hotdogs in Copley Square, which suited us just fine.
Of course, Copley Square is very near the site of the Boston Marathon bombing that took place earlier this year.  Norah was watching the marathon with me when it all started to happen, so she was aware of it, and we've talked about it on and off since then.  I decided I would tell her that this is where it had happened.  So as we waited for a light to change, I stopped and pointed and showed her, watching her reaction.  After we crossed, I stopped her again, and said maybe we should say a little prayer for the people who were hurt that day.  She looked at me, in a way only she can, and said "Mommy, I already did!  Over there when you showed me"  Of course, I teared up and thought to myself, that maybe, just maybe, we're doing ok with these kiddos!
 
Waiting for our train...

Checking out the Construction along the way

Quack, Quack, make way for ducklings!


Swan Boat Ride

No comments:

Post a Comment