Monday, November 23, 2009

Neighbourhood News: New Playground

There is an awesome new playground just around the corner from our house. It's a special playground, in memory of a Little Boy who died at 6 months old of something called Leigh's disease. He has a big sister, and his Mom recently gave birth to twins. His Mom built this special playground in his memory, and for all kinds of kids - normal kids like Norah, kids in wheelchairs, kids with sensory disorders, and kids with other kids of issues that we can't even think of.

The Little Boy's Mom raised money and co-ordinated volunteers to build this wonderful playground. As we've been watching it grow out of the corner of a parking lot over the past few months, I've come to appreciate what this must mean for the Little Boy's Mom. I've never met her, but it makes my heart heavy to think how it must feel to lose a child at 6 months old. I wish I had paid more attention to the fundraisers and calls for volunteers - I know we'll certainly be regular visitors in the years to come, and if this weekend is any indication, I expect we'll meet a lot of our neighbours there too. I wish I could thank this little boy's Mom. If you'd like more information about this playground, drop me an email, and if we know each other, I'll send you a link - this is the internet after all.

In any case, Norah and I took advantage of the nice weather to check it out for the first time. Here are some pics!





No comments:

Post a Comment