Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sandal Saga, Day 2

Today, I won the battle of wills on the sandals - Norah is wearing a cute pair of pink Stride Rites as I write this (or at least she was when I dropped her off this morning!) It involved a little wrestling, but once she forgot she had them on, we were all set. It's a good thing too, since I was thinking of asking my sisters, the fashion police, to stage an intervention with her.

I talked with my mom about it yesterday, and that led to one of my two keys to success. While Mom had some good ideas, the main thing I realized from talking to her is that I'M the one in charge, not Norah. I so enjoyed flexing my parental muscle with the time outs last week, that I thought, "I'm just going to tell her this is what she's going to wear today", which is exactly what I did. There was drama, but I got them on her.

The other key was Norah's old friend, BUCKLES. As I've blogged before, she loves buckles, and closing them, but she hasn't figured out how to open them yet - and we're not showing her! This was key to my success this morning, as a lot of her shoes have Velcro closures, which she seems to enjoy opening and removing her shoes, even when they're not sandals. The ones she has on today have small metal buckles, which she doesn't know how to open yet.

So in short, I muscled them on to her and made sure she couldn't get them off. She resisted, and then got over it, all in a matter of about 15 minutes. There's a lesson in there somewhere, I'm just not sure what it is, maybe that we're in charge and not her?

No comments:

Post a Comment