Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Roddie Report: My Baby's Other Love

I’ve heard that mothers of sons sometimes have a hard time letting go, when their baby boy one day finds another woman – you know the one they want to marry?  I get to be the most important woman in Roddie’s life for a few years yet, or so I thought…
Roddie is resisting growing up in some ways, and for good or for bad, I’m letting him.  He likes to pretend he’s a baby and sit and cuddle in my lap (who wouldn’t, really???)  It doesn’t really manifest itself in other ways, except maybe potty training, where it’s kind of backfiring (note to self: must deal with this…) in any case, part of our baby routine is me telling him I love him and he loves me.  It’s a  nice routine that leaves us both smiling – until recently.  Now, when I ask him who loves him and who does he love, the answer (at least not the FIRST answer) isn’t Mommy, (as it should be, in my opinion, at least until he’s 30) but KENDALL!
Now, Kendall is adorable and all, but isn’t he a little young for this?  I hesitate to mention it to Kendall’s parents, lest they think Roddie is a mini-stalke!  Their teacher, Miss Julie told me this morning that indeed Kendall does love Roddie, so I guess he’s not making it up.  Also, I must admit they have been good buddies since early in their daycare careers, way back in the baby room – but Love?
I just really thought he’d be older, that’s all.

No comments:

Post a Comment