Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mom Jeans - now I get it

Don’t worry, I’m not about to embrace them – those high-waisted-flat-butted-generous-hipped-beauties, I’m just saying I get it now. Everyone from Oprah to Obama have voiced an opinion on Mom Jeans, and the Washington post has declared that they “Flatter No-one!”

After one child, like many things, I didn’t get Mom Jeans – my body more or less returned to normal, albeit a few pounds heavier. But there was something about the second one - maybe the body just isn’t quite as resilient as it once was, maybe it was all that extra fluid and the triplet sized uterus, maybe I wasn’t in top shape pre-pregnancy – I’m not sure. What I do know is that giving birth to Roddie has necessitated a re-evaluation of all things low waisted! My hips and most of the rest of my body have returned to their pre-Roddie state – even closing in on pre-Norah, but my belly is resistant to return to it’s former state. Perhaps, like me, it will never be the same.

Mom jeans do have some redeeming features – high waist covers that extra belly that the kids left you with, full hips reflect the realities of childbirth, but it’s the overall package that just won’t do. Sure, they’re allegedly easy to find (fitting into the hectic schedule of a working mom) but really, please don’t let me go there!

As I crawl towards middle age, I’m trying to embrace the unpleasant realities that are now my life – daycare bills, sick kids – along with the more pleasant ones, like the kids themselves, without looking frumpy or spending the daycare tuition on my fashion selections.

Now that I think about it, I do like me a nice empire waist…

No comments:

Post a Comment