Friday, June 5, 2009

The Great Outdoors - What a Gift!

As anyone reading this probably knows, Matt and I love the great outdoors! In fact it was one of the things that really connected us in the early days of our relationship. We both grew up camping with our families in the summer, and there was really never any question that we’d also pass this on to Norah. In fact, I’d have to say it’s a big part of who we are, something that I think is reflected in the many of our friends as well.

We were very fortunate to spend Memorial Day weekend in Promised Land State Park in Pennsylvania, with Matt’s brother and his family. The cabin was rustic by some standards, but it had lights and a full kitchen, so in our opinion we were well set up! I spent a lot of time outside with Norah, digging in the dirt, walking in the woods, looking at trees and listening to birds. I especially enjoyed a couple of early mornings… one where we had our breakfast outside, just the two of us, around 7 am… the lake was a sheet of glass, the birds were chirping, and we could barely hear another living soul. Another morning, we took a little walk, and ended up sitting on the edge of the dock, just me and her and my morning coffee. She sat quietly on my lap, taking it all in, waving to the occasional fisherman who happened by. We didn’t do too much camping last year, and it felt really good to be out there again. What also felt good was how in synch Matt and I are when it comes to being in the great outdoors!

What I didn’t really realize until we were driving home was what a special gift our parents had given us, by taking us camping, letting us get dirty, and showing us how it’s done! So thanks Nanny and Grandpa, Oma and Opa!

1 comment: