Monday, March 30, 2009

Norah News: Stair Master

This morning Norah mastered the basement stairs! I am not talking just getting up the stairs, but really mastering them!

As you've seen here, she was very determined to get up the one step between the upper and lower part of the deck, and was quite pleased with herself when she did it! Since we have a ranch-style home, she doesn't get exposed to stairs on a daily basis. She does, however take every opportunity to practice - outside, playgrounds, whatever.

This morning, I took her to the basement with me to put some clothes in the washer, and while I was doing my thing, she wandered over to the stairs. By the time I turned my head to look for her, she was up the first two, and putting her hand out for me to help her. It should be noted at this time that we don't have a railing on the side of our stairs, so it looks directly down into the laundry area. While I know this is a hazard, I mention it here because it made Norah's feat that much more impressive.

So I said, "Norah, you can do it yourself". She turned, and went back to climbing. Each step was accomplished with considerable effort, but also great satisfaction. When we reached the top of the stairs, we clapped and cheered, as we tend to do, before I picked her up, took her back down, and (attempted to) finished the laundry. (AWWWWW MOM!!)

Same thing happened, she darted to the stairs the minute I set her down. This time though she knew she could make it to the top, and she was laughing and giggling with newfound confidence the entire trip up the stairs! When we reached the landing, she opted not to take the last step, through the gate, into the kitchen. Instead, she started trying to figure out how to open the back door... which makes me wonder what I will be reporting next week? I already wake up in the morning wondering if she has escaped her crib... what if she figures out the door???

No comments:

Post a Comment