Thursday, July 22, 2010

What the Old Wives Have to Say

There are generations of Old Wives Tales about predicting the gender of a yet to be born baby, dating back long before it was common practice to identify the sex of the baby with an ultrasound. Since I have given birth to a girl and we are very confident that I am carrying a boy (he showed us all his goods and didn't leave much room for doubt!) I feel that I am somewhat authorized to comment. The bottom line is, in my not-so-scientific study, in which I am the only test subject - I think the Old Wives might just be on to something! Here are my test results:
  1. High or Low? The tale goes that if you are carrying low it's a boy, and high if it's a girl... well I think we can all see from the pictures that Bro' is LOW! So low, in fact, that I think I may end up tripping over him if he drops too much before delivery! RESULT: BOY!
  2. High or Low Part 2? It's said that if the baby's heart rate is below 140 it's a boy, and over, it's a girl. Brudder has been coming in around 137 bpm whereas Norah was consistently in the mid 150's. I will note however that Brudder was higher in the earlier months, but has been pretty consistent over the past month. RESULT: BOY!
  3. Sweet or Sour? This is a bit of a strange one for me, as I ALWAYS like sour... my cravings were poutine with Norah and Guacamole with Brudder, neither of which is sweet OR sour... I have had a hard time with any kind of candy, sweet or sour, due to heartburn, until lately though. RESULT: INCONCLUSIVE
  4. Sympathy Weight Gain? If your husband gains weight at the same rate you are, the Old Wives say it's a girl. Sure enough, last time around Matt kept pace with me up until the third trimester, and I never did catch him on the scale... this time, let's just say I'd rather not talk about it (but please, bear in mind Brudder is BIG) RESULT: BOY!
  5. Fat Face? The Old Wives say that if the mother's face is 'round and rosy' it means you're having a girl. Well the pictures don't lie people, I think we can all see I gained a lot more face fat with Norah than I did this time around. RESULT: BOY!

So there you have it, even though we know, with a certain degree of scientific certainty, that we're having a boy, the Old Wives would seem to agree!

One other one that I heard that the ultrasound also shows to be true is that a lot of heartburn means a hairy baby... with Norah, no heartburn until the very end, and the poor girl barely had hair at a year, never mind when she was born! With Brudder, I've been having it all along, sometimes quite bad, and this week's Ultrasound showed he did in fact have plenty of hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment