Friday, May 20, 2011

Norah News: Growing Up

The other morning I was watching Norah.  We were on our way to school and work, but I just couldn't resist taking a moment to watch her as she poked around outside on the way to the truck.  I don't recall what she was wearing, other than her raincoat (feels like that's all we've worn for months!) but she looked so old, so grown up.  She's still not 4 feet tall, but I guess it was where she was standing with no solid point of reference, but she just looked like a real, grown up person.  Then I noticed Roadie, her small stuffed dog, who has accompanied us everywhere for nearly 2 years, and I remembered that she's only 3... and I smiled to myself, no need to grow up too fast little girl. 
I wanted to take a picture, but obviously that would have ruined the moment, for me and for her.  Turns out last night I inadvertently snapped one that pretty much brought the same feelings to mind.  My sister Erin, who's getting married this fall, ordered some shoes for her wedding here in the US, and had them shipped to us.  Totally blanking on what could be in the package addressed to me, I opened it up to find some really cool sparkly shoes.  It was love at first sight for my little-big girl, who insisted she try them on.  Pictures were snapped and sent off to Auntie E, and it was only afterwards that I noticed Roadie in the background again, looking out for my girl.
We packed the shoes away amongst chatter about the sparkly shoes Norah must have to wear to Auntie Erin and Uncle Eric's wedding.  As we did so, I prayed to myself that the years to her own wedding don't pass too quickly, but at the same time knowing in some ways they will, life's like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment