Friday, April 5, 2013

Norah News: Maybe I'm starting to Get It

Norah and I sometimes but heads, a phenomenon I understand is common to mothers and daughters.   It frustrates me because as much as Norah is like me in so many ways, I often feel like I just can't figure out what makes her tick!

Well tonight, I got a little glimpse that I won't soon forget.

At bed time, I tucked Roddie in and then went over to her bed to tuck her in.  As usual lately, she ducked my attempt to give her a hug and a kiss.  Then, again as usual, I said "I love you, but don't stay up too late reading"  For some reason, after I said that, I peeked behind her book and whispered to her "enjoy your book"  She looked me in the eye and gave me a smile that I can only describe as 'connected'.  I don't know if it was the whispering, the fact that she's actually starting to read some words in the books she loves so much or the simple fact that I recognized what she was doing, separate from her brother.

Come to think of it, maybe she's more like me than I realize... I've always loved to read.  I was a kid who would take the maximum number of books (5) from the library each and every Friday before dance class.  Mom or Dad would always drop Susan and I off at the library, where she (who was never much of a reader until she was an adult) would patiently - or not, wait for me to make my selections before we walked over to our dance class.

Maybe there's a hint in there for me... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment