Wednesday, October 23, 2013

DW2DT Day 108: It takes a Hood...

You've heard the expression that it takes a village to raise a child?  Well, I'm here to tell you that it takes a neighborhood to build a house. 
The past couple of days I feel like we just couldn't catch a break - I have been kinda sick, but with no chance to rest.  The washer I thought was fixed really wasn't, the neighbor we thought might buy our camper ultimately didn't.  Yesterday morning, though a series of unfortunate events we had no heat nor lights in the camper in the morning.  (Ever try to get kids up and dressed in the cold and dark?  I don't recommend it) Today, Roddie peed in his bed, Norah peed on the bathroom floor, they wouldn't give me a flu shot because of my cold, my truck won't drive and my dog ran away... you get the pricture.  Then, to add insult to injury, Matt threw his back out again over the weekend and was in such pain today that he missed work and went to the doctor.  This morning I was saying to a co-worker that I just wanted something, anything, to break our way!  This point of the project is hard enough without crap luck!
Decamped to the construction site for breakfast

That said, our luck did turn around this afternoon.  A couple from Moncton who found our listing on Craig's List came by and bought the camper!  Let me tell you, that was a HUGE relief!  They'll be back to pick it up next week, which gives us plenty of time to MOVE OUT OF THE CAMPER over the weekend.  Thankfully this jives with Tim's plans to finish off the stairs by Friday! 
 
Then, a neighbor called and asked if we wanted to come over for dinner.  Usually on a weeknight I pass (and as it turns out totally blew it on Norah's first ever night of homework...oops!)  but tonight it was just what the doctor ordered!  I left Matt and his back on the sofa and took the kids and a couple loads of laundry around the corner.  On my walk over I realized that the neighbors really have been a big part of this - Jen took the kids a bunch of Saturday afternoons, I've seen pretty much everyone's laundry rooms by now, Marsha has taken the kids and had us over several times and everyone has listened to the ongoing progress and helped us stay sane!  
 
Maybe our luck wasn't so bad after all!
Yeah, that's Roddie, pulling a wagon full of dirty laundry, detergent and a bottle of wine, with his fancy scarf on... what of it?

Yahoo!  The final phase to re-inhabiting our house is coming along!

No comments:

Post a Comment