Friday, August 26, 2011

Norah News: Soccer or Dance?

Real picture from her school
One of the things I love about our daycare is that they offer "Enrichment Programs" - some optional, some are included.  Included are things like Jazzercise, Music and Spanish.  Optional (and at an extra fee!) are things like Swimming, Dance, Soccer and Karate. 

Until recently, Norah has been too young for many of these "extras" so I didn't really think about it too much.  She was old enough to start with the last session of Dance in the spring, but just barely, and I thought I'd leave it and see if she showed an interest or not.  Of course, she did!  Due in part to the fact that one of her best buddies at school, Cassandra, was participating, I am sure, but she's always shown an interest in music and movement.  As regular readers of the Bugle also know, she's big into all things girly, as many girls her age are.  I was all set to sign her up for the upcoming fall session, when I got an email about Soccer as a new addition to the Enrichment lineup.   It's possible for her to do both, but at three and a half I think that's too much for her, and my pocketbook.

Now, I should note that I think soccer is a great sport for little kids, and out here in the 'burbs, it's a big scene! We drive by the local field where a pile of little kids are running around in uniforms too big several times a week during the season.  Norah always says something about playing when she's bigger, but doesn't show much interest (or aptitude, poor girl takes after her mother) with the soccer ball in the yard.

So here is my dilemma - do I sign her up for dance and fuel her own interests, or do I sign her up for soccer and see if she likes it?  On the one hand, there is a lot to be learned (especially for us un co-ordinated types) from Dance.  In fact, I credit several years of dance lessons with my being as co-ordinated as I am (If you knew me when I was younger, you know that I regularly walked into things...)  We've long thought that Norah was a born performer, and even though she's into being a girly-girl, she also likes other things, and I don't think either Dance or Soccer will have an effect.

On the other hand, maybe if she tried soccer, she'd really like it...  I didn't play a lot of sports as a kid (mainly swimming) and didn't really become regularly physically active until I was well into my 20's but I wonder if I had been exposed to other options, maybe I would have found one that was a fit for me.  Things like track & field, cross country running and cycling teams just weren't available to a girl in Sydney in the 70's!

At the moment, I'm leaning towards Dance for a couple of reasons.  First, she's only three and a half, there's lots of time to try new things.  Second, we asked her and that's what she picked.  The third reason has to do with a conversation I had with my mom more than 10 years ago.  I asked why I never got to take piano, art or gymnastics lessons like my sisters (Erin for the art and music, Susan for the gymnastics)  Her answer was that I didn't show any interest in those things. I liked to read, and swim (still do).  What I remember is that I went to the library every Friday (before Dance class, ironically) for years, and I spent a lot of time in the pool.  I don't remember wishing I was at piano lessons or wanting to join Susan on the balance beam.  Over the years I've tried soccer, volleyball, basketball, badminton, tennis, squash, golf, and frisbee but never really had a sustained interest in any of them.  For me, physical activity is best served by moving under my own power, ideally with the wind in my hair.  Swimming, hiking, running, walking and biking all fit this bill, and with the exception of running, have all been a part of my life consistently for a long time. 

Looks like Nanny Sharon was on to something, and that Norah will be taking Dance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment