Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Thanksgiving Photo Highlights

I had an especially great Thanksgiving this past weekend.  As you may know, we celebrate Thanksgiving twice each year - I cook a turkey on the American Columbus Day holiday, which coincides with Canadian Thanksgiving in October, and then we celebrate the American holiday of the same name in November with the rest of the country.  I feel like we have the best of both worlds - we get to celebrate at our own home and again with the American half of the family in PA (Matt's family).  
The weekend had been great already, with some great family time and a family friend birthday party.  Matt had to work part of the day, and I had arranged for two of my pre-suburb, pre-Matt, pre-motherhood friends to come out for a playdate.  We collectively have 6 kids now, ranging in age from Jason, 4 months, to Norah, 4.5, and also including Emily, 1yr, and the terrible 2's Laurel (2.5), Claire, and Roddie.  I think it was the first time all 6 kids were together and while it was chaos, it was awesome!  I've spent a lot of time with these mommies, biking, hiking, camping and commiserating, not to mention sharing weddings and pregnancies!  We all work, and our homes are not especially close to one another, so getting everyone together is challenging - but so worth it that we've tentatively planned to do it again all holiday Mondays!
Roddie, Norah, Laurel and Claire

Jason and Emily getting a ride with moms Sue and Julie
 After all the little people (and some of the big people!) were sufficiently tuckered out, we fed them and sent everyone home in time for nap time.  I had a 20lb turkey in the oven that was starting to smell good when I sat down on the sofa for a snuggle with Norah while Roddie napped.  Matt got home as quiet time was ending and he and the kids went back outside while I finished cooking up dinner.  Then our neighbors and friends Megan, Wayne and Courtney from across the street came over along with Laura and Jack from next door.  Canadian Thanksgiving dinner with the neighbors has become a bit of a tradition here on our little street, one I really enjoy!
Jack, Norah, Courtney (in back) and Roddie - the kids of our Road
I think Norah summed it up shortly after the last of our company left... "Mommy, I am so tired, I want to go right to bed!"  Of course there was work to do cleaning up and all the rest, but it was a great day with a house full of friends (and a nap in the middle!)  What more could one ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment