Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mother's Day

On my first Mother's Day, Matt's mom made sure he realized it just might be a big deal to me. He heeded her warning, and got me nice silver "mother and child" bracelet that I've worn pretty much every day since.

On my second Mother's Day, Matt went out, not quite at the last minute, and bought me a pretty fancy digital photo frame. I liked it, and appreciated the sentiment, but we have a small house and no where to put it, so I took it back, and bought myself some shorts that fit - something I needed.

This year, my third Mother's Day, Matt apparently had a conversation with a couple of the neighbourhood women on Friday night that was something to the effect of "I'm sunk, it's Friday night, we're going away for the weekend, and I've got nothing" He couldn't have been further from the truth!

It's true that he didn't have any fancy gifts, nor was there any trip to a crowded and overpriced brunch. He gave me exactly what I needed - a family day with him and Norah. Things have been busy lately with plans for the house, Brudder on the way and work is busy. We're also working hard on not spending or acquiring things we don't really need - see the aforementioned baby and house projects!

We were 'camping' with some friends and their two year old overnight on Saturday - which was a blast - more on that later, including some pictures - and got up Sunday to a windy, sunny, and brisk morning. Matt got up and went outside to get the campstove (and more importantly, coffee and oatmeal!) going to get us warmed up quickly. After Norah finished, and I was chatting with our friends, Matt and Norah went off to sit in a chair by the beach - I love that view! A few minutes later, Norah came back, by herself and said "I have something". well inside her coat was a really sweet card she and Matt had just signed with crayons - delivery was everything!

There were other things throughout the day, but the highlight for me was a picnic lunch at some random municipal park on the way home. It wasn't a big or fancy, or even particularly nice park. We headed over to a covered picnic table only to find it was very windy and very cold. I suggested we sit in the grass, where it was more sheltered instead. Norah was immediately game for this plan, and was her most charming of charming selves - handing out cookies, her face covered in mayo and Oreo. When we were done, I laid back in the grass, which was in need of a trim. Norah also thought this was a good idea, and flopped onto her back as well - looking at me thru the grass, reaching out to see and touch me. Matt said later, that he enjoyed watching us, and that "it seemed like you really connected."

It was an amazingly sweet, touching moment in the middle of a beautiful day that will forever stay with me when I think of Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment