Wednesday, October 29, 2008

ATTENTION!

I don't know if it's just Norah, or all babies. Or all babies with fluffy pink coats on. But traveling around with Norah generates a lot of attention.

I'd say I'm pretty average looking in most respects... not to short, not too tall, not too big, not too small... you get the idea, I am generally not the kind of person who makes a room stop and pay attention (at least not without opening my mouth, but that is a different story) so I've spent the majority of my life going about my business relatively uninterrupted.

Until Norah.

I've blogged before about how she seems to have a way with people, smiling at just the right time, rewarding total strangers for talking silly with her two-tooth grin, but this past weekend it got me thinking - most of the time, it's kind of fun, being out and about with Norah, but we do occasionally feel self conscious. Of course people stare at her because she's cute, and smiles easily, and it's fun... all positive things. But what if they stared because she had some kind of abnormality or behavioral problem or other negative trait?

It makes me think of those experiments you see on TV, where people are disguised in various ways to 'walk a mile in someone else's shoes'. Sure, Norah is "perfect" (at least in our eyes) but it did give me pause to stop and think about what it might be like if she wasn't. Only time will tell if she'll continue to stand out or blend in, but in the mean time, I'm going to make an extra effort to treat everyone equally and set a good example for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment